Subject: Re: hang at init: copying out path `/sbin/init' 11
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas T. Thai <tom@minnesota.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/06/2004 23:31:27
Thomas T. Thai wrote:

>> -current as of 2 days ago
>>
>> I've noticed sometimes on a reboot (i386), the system hangs at:
>> cpu3: CPU 6 running
>> init: copying out path `/sbin/init' 11
>> [HANGS HERE]
>

> Ctrl-Alt-Esc got me into the DDB, here is what it gave me:

There was another line at the top that was preceeded by some non
displayable characters.. but toward the end of that line it had:

...page fault trap, code=0netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x4: leave...

> ---
> db{7}> tr
> cpu_Debugger(...) at netbsd:cpu_Debuger+0x4
> internal_command(...) at netbsd:internal_command+0x13c
> wskbd_translate...
> wskbd-input...
> The system halts at the above point often when I tell the BIOS not to
> limit the recognized RAM at 2 gig. The system has > 4gig.

"page fault trap" leads me to believe that the extra memory is causing
problems. Does NetBSD actually limit access to 4 gig? Could there be
some bugs that's causing it to access portions above 4 gig no matter how
much physical memory I have installed?

Regards,
Thomas