Subject: Re: rsync service will move from ftp.netbsd.org to anoncvs.netbsd.org
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org, current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/2004 09:26:23
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> 1) The path to the repository has changed.  The anoncvs server offers a
>    single rsync module, "cvsroot", which is the root of the CVS repository.
>    The old (ftp) server offered a module called "anoncvs", with the actual
>    data in the subdirectory "main".  So you will need to move things around
>    slightly on the client side, or run rsync on the client from a different
>    directory.

In other words, I should configure my client to use

	rsync://anoncvs.netbsd.org/cvsroot

instead of the old rsync://rsync.netbsd.org/anoncvs/main ?

> 3) Due to lighter load and a more suitable filesystem configuration on
>    the anoncvs server, performance should be somewhat better;

Also, the anoncvs server tends to be more closely synchronised to the
real master cvs server.  In my experience, CVS commits are almost always
available from the anoncvs server by the time I read the email sent to
the source-changes list; whereas it usually takes several hours, and
sometimes more than 24 hours, for them to be available from the old
rsync.netbsd.org server.

--apb (Alan Barrett)