Subject: Re: awk problem
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: James Chacon <jmc@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/2004 04:50:31
On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 12:50:03PM +1100, Simon Burge wrote:

> The walnut-mkimg.sh script still uses printf(1).  Can we assume that
> exists on every system used to build netbsd these days?  I'm thinking
> of things like cygwin, etc.  Also older BSDs in particular didn't have
> printf(1).  The use of printf is not fancy - it could easily be replaced
> by multiple echo's.

I think this is a fair assumption. IIRC it's been said multiple times that
a basic POSIX host environment (or close to it) should be whats required for
cross building.

From REQUIREMENTS in BUILDING:

     NetBSD is designed to be buildable on most POSIX-compliant host systems.

We already assume basic sh, sh utils, gzip even, so adding printf isn't asking
much.

Worst case it could become a host tool also since it's simple enough but then
we start going down the road to $TOOL_SH, ...  :-)

James