Subject: Re: NetBSD/amd64 and XFree86.
To: Stephen Degler <stephen@degler.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/2004 01:39:24
On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:16:39AM -0500, Stephen Degler wrote:
 [..]
> > I'm using a 9200SE.  This worked well with the "vesa" driver
> > in November.  Using the 4.4RC2(?) snapshot from December 18,
> > and some advice from another NetBSD user, I lied about the
> > chipset in my /etc/XF86Config file and got it to work.  (Though
> > it still is not up to the old "plain" 4.3 vesa driver's performance.)
>
> Hello,
>
> 1) 9200se will be supported under radeon driver under 4.4 I believe.

It keeps getting worse.

In November, I saw glxgears topping 1100 or 1200 fps in default
size.  Later, I "upgraded" and the best performance I ever saw
again was about 500 or 600fps.

Now, I have it running with a static-linked X server and the whole
thing feels substantially slower to start up---and fps of glxgears
seems to now be limited to about 400 or 420fps.

(sigh)

At least the thing is running again, though.

> 3) I'm still having more success with make snapshot in xsrc than I am with
> the x11 tree under ./buid.sh

That's what I did in the end.  "cd ../xsrc" and "make build", or such.

I had tried to just set a config option for this, but the only promising
one that I found was something like BuildDynamicLoading, which seemed to
only break the build process using "build.sh".

P.S.: "XFree86 -configure" selected the "ati" driver, not "radeon",
I think.  I've tried numerous variations (including "vesa" and "vga"
and "radeon"---which I'm currently using---trying to recover 600fps
in glxgears; often I wind up at 300fps).