Subject: AMD64 users: please update libc!
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/2004 19:40:36
Hi -

I've recently removed the last use of the old (int 0x80) syscall
entry from amd64's libc. (which was in getcontext())

Native programs now only need the new (AMD specific) "fast syscall"
path, so the next step will be to disable the kernel part of "int 0x80"
handling for kernels without COMPAT_NETBSD32 or COMPAT_16 options.
This will cause programs using an old libc (or old static binaries)
to fail if no COMPAT_* option is in effect.

If nothing unexpected happens, I'll do the kernel change in the week
from March 22-28.
Please update your libc (and static binaries) before booting a kernel
made after the change, or make sure one of the mentioned COMPAT_ options
is defined.

best regards
Matthias