Subject: Re: NetBSD/amd64 and XFree86.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/2004 01:47:08
On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 07:35:10AM +0000, Andreas Kahari wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:08:28AM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > Is anyone else having trouble with X and recent kernels?
>
> I'm running a GENERIC kernel compiled on Sunday and XFree-4.4.0

Maybe I should try building a newer X.  But what could have changed
here?

 [...]
> > I consider this more of a -current issue than an X issue, since
> > the server was working with -current from January 29 of this.
>
> I have a Radeon card that isn't supported by the older XFree86,
> so I didn't run X on the 29th of January.

I'm using a 9200SE.  This worked well with the "vesa" driver
in November.  Using the 4.4RC2(?) snapshot from December 18,
and some advice from another NetBSD user, I lied about the
chipset in my /etc/XF86Config file and got it to work.  (Though
it still is not up to the old "plain" 4.3 vesa driver's performance.)

 [...]
> > GENERIC is unchanged since January 14, and the diff from it to my
> > kernel config is still just the two MPBIOS lines and the one ioapic
> > line.
>
> The configuration file might be unchanged, but do you know for a
> fact that the rest of the kernel sources are unchanged as well?

I'm sure that the sources *have* changed!  (^&

If they hadn't, there wouldn't be much point in building a new
kernel.  And the new kernel would presumably run the old X
server just as well as the old kernel.

My point about GENERIC was simply that I do not believe that
the problem is caused by having an "old" kernel config.  At the
same time, it is exactly the same config that I used to build a
working system on January 29.

I'm a bit reluctant to jump up and build a new X server when
the last time I tried that I caused myself a couple of weeks
of "no X" grief.

Thanks for your help.  I'm still adrift, though.