Subject: Re: NetBSD/amd64 and XFree86.
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Andreas Kahari <ak+netbsd@freeshell.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/2004 07:35:10
On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:08:28AM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
> Is anyone else having trouble with X and recent kernels?

I'm running a GENERIC kernel compiled on Sunday and XFree-4.4.0
compiled on Monday without problems (except for the known
pagedeamon problem under low memory/high disk activity
situations):

$ X -version
XFree86 Version 4.4.0
Release Date: 29 February 2004
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: NetBSD/amd64 1.6ZK [ELF] The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.
Current Operating System: NetBSD coffee.please 1.6ZK NetBSD 1.6ZK (GENERIC) #2: Sun Mar  7 12:47:32 GMT 2004  root@coffee.please:/usr/obj/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC amd64
Build Date: 08 March 2004
Changelog Date: 29 February 2004
	Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/

> I consider this more of a -current issue than an X issue, since
> the server was working with -current from January 29 of this.

I have a Radeon card that isn't supported by the older XFree86,
so I didn't run X on the 29th of January.

> I did a 'cvs update -PAd' and built a new kernel from my old
> kernel config.  This is just GENERIC with ioapic and MPBIOS
> disabled.  (ioapic has caused terrible problems with this
> nVidia motherboard; turning it off makes it work.)

I have a Gigabyte K8VNXP motherboard.  I picked it specifically
because I've seen the problems other people are running into
with the nVidia boards.

> GENERIC is unchanged since January 14, and the diff from it to my
> kernel config is still just the two MPBIOS lines and the one ioapic
> line.

The configuration file might be unchanged, but do you know for a
fact that the rest of the kernel sources are unchanged as well?

Andreas

--
Andreas Kähäri                      |=][=|
                                    |[==]|