To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Art Lemasters <slemas1@mindspring.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/03/2004 15:36:03
Art Lemasters wrote:
>   I agree.
>
>   Identity theft creeps are trying to use trojans now, in some
> areas.  I can tell by the headers (short and clean) that they
> are often directly sent.  They are beginning to outnumber
> viruses in my geographical area.  Spammers are also behind
> some of the new viruses.
>
>   On a slow connection, the wait for these to download is far longer
> than for regular mail.  I live in the "middle of nowhere" of a
> mountainous area where there are no reasonable high feed situations.
> MTA rejections use less bandwidth in the long run than does
> acceptance.
>
>   And as for reverse resolving,...
>
>   It's easy enough to set up a nameserver, and domain names can be
> bought for less than $10 (USD) per year now (one of mine for a
> remote network from godaddy.com, for instance, but there are
> probably many).  Thelist.com will show many ISPs (or local numbers
> for those--to find one that will comply with writing those little,
> bitty A records within only a few seconds) in just about any given
> area.

   To correct myself on one of those points, intentionally sent trojans
are *not* outweighing viruses/worms.  There is, in fact, one new
worm with very clean headers, etc.--a new beagle thing (01Mar or
thereabouts).  ...sorry for the hasty assumption on my part.  ...hope
the info mentioned about services helps, though.

Art