Subject: Re: TCP/IP tuning.
To: Thomas Miller <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: T.E. Spanjaard <t.e.spanjaard@student.utwente.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/2004 16:36:14
> Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se> wrote:
> You are correct.  The 390 was the aggregate transfer rate
> of two simultaneous connections.  It's my wishful thinking
> that keeps me hoping for 5 Mbps at least sometime in one
> download with one connection from my "up to 5. . . .

For regular (non-guaranteed) ADSL connections, it's common for ISP's to use
a mapping factor for the uplink from the telco to the ISP's datacenter.
Usually being 1/40 for the cheapest services. 1/40 means that for every 40
customers having a subscription for x bandwidth, they reserve x bandwidth on
the uplink. Consequently, if all 40 users start downloading, their maximum
speed is (theoretically) 1/40 of their subscription's maximum. Even at
nighttime, this still matters.

> I'm happy to keep talking with you, but maybe let's take
> the discussion off the list so that everybody else can
> have some peace.

It has little more to do with TCP tuning as of now, does it? :)

Cheers,
TGEN