Subject: Re: TCP/IP tuning
To: None <csmith@micromuse.com>
From: Thomas Miller <tom@insolvencyhelp.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/2004 08:08:17
Christian Smith <csmith@micromuse.com> wrote:

> For testing purposes, ask your ISP to switch you back to "up to 3Mb/s" and
> repeat the tests. If there is no difference, then you may have grounds for
> complaint.

I had "up to 3" previously, and did not experience any increase
when I went to "up to 5."  I'll probably go back to "up to 3"
soon.

> It might also be worth testing the connection with another operating
> system to rule out or otherwise NetBSD, preferably Linux as it has a
> completely different TCP/IP implementation to *BSD.

My ISP gave me a username and password for their Java test site
under development so their install technicians can test connection
speed.  I ran the Java test on a machine running XP and sent
them the results for analysis.  I haven't heard back yet.

Kindest regards,

Tom