Subject: Re: Problems with CUPS from firefox-linux and NetBSD 1.6ZK
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/2004 09:59:31
--aYDVKSzuImP48n7V

Christian Palomino wrote:
> > Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de> wrote:

> > >    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=3D/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/pkg/lib:/usr/pkg/lib/firefox-=
linux
> > >    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
=20
>  It worked! I just tested it right now. Thank you very much for your help

Actually, it's recommendable to put a wrapper around every program which
is called from Mozilla which does "unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH". For example,
here there are these libraries which exist more than once in different
library paths (Linux emulation not even included as not installed):

libGLU.so
libOSMesa.so
libXft.so
libXrender.so
libexpat.so
libfontconfig.so
libform.so
libfreetype.so
libintl.so
libmenu.so

So if you start a program which is linked against the "other" library
it might crash, just not start or do whatever. You've already seen one
possible effect. The path list I've suggested is a good comprise but
it still wouldn't work in certain situations.

Did you add this LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the wrapper or is that how it gets
installed by pkgsrc? You might want to look at the executable and
see which paths it got compiled in:

objdump -p /path/to/firefox-bin|grep RPATH

If you're lucky it's linked to sth like /usr/lib/firefox and I'd suggest
to put a symbolic link into your Linux environment pointing to the
correct location. Then you could remove the LD_LIBRARY_PATH stuff altogether
because the problem would be solved in a much cleaner way.

--=20
Christian
=20
As you can see, this a signature. It's not related to the contents of the
mail in any way. But you probably won't listen to me anyway, will you?

--aYDVKSzuImP48n7V

--aYDVKSzuImP48n7V--