Subject: Re: nbmake always built?
To: Phil Nelson <phil@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/2004 11:33:16
--NzX0AQGjRQPusK/O

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 02:14:34PM -0800, Phil Nelson wrote:
  | Hi,
  |=20
  |    I've recently started using build.sh .... and I noticed that on 2=20
  | architectures, nbmake gets made every time I run build.sh.  I started w=
ith
  |=20
  |    ./build.sh -m i386 tools
  |=20
  | and it build nbmake and all the other tools.  Yet, when I did
  |=20
  |   ./build.sh -U -m i386 build
  |=20
  | the first thing it did was to bootstrap nbmake!  (see below)  And
  | the report at the end of the build says nbmake still needs to be made, =
even=20
  | though it was made as the first step.
  |
  | Is this normal?  It did the same thing on the pc532 also.
  | Shouldn't nbmake be made with "tools" and not be made again?

Yes, this is normal if you don't provide $TOOLDIR in the environment
or to build.sh with '-T tooldir'.

The comments in build.sh::rebuildmake() may provide further enlightenment:

	# Test make source file timestamps against installed ${toolprefix}make
	# binary, if TOOLDIR is pre-set.
	#
	# Note that we do NOT try to grovel "mk.conf" here to find out if
	# TOOLDIR is set there, because it can contain make variable
	# expansions and other stuff only parseable *after* we have a working
	# ${toolprefix}make.  So this logic can only work if the user has
	# pre-set TOOLDIR in the environment or used the -T option to build.sh.

Luke.

--NzX0AQGjRQPusK/O

--NzX0AQGjRQPusK/O--