Subject: Re: TCP/IP tuning
To: None <mlelstv@serpens.de>
From: Thomas Miller <tom@insolvencyhelp.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2004 21:07:41
mlelstv@serpens.de (Michael van Elst) wrote:

> tom@insolvencyhelp.org ("Thomas Miller") writes:
>
> >of the 610 KB/sec capability of my "up to 5 Mbps"
> >connection.
>
> A "up to 5 Mbps" connection cannot deliver 610KB/sec
> via FTP. Something like 550KB/sec is more realistic,
> but it could be lower depending on the encoding used
> on your uplink.

Well, if 550 KB/sec is reasonable, then it ought
to be faster than 320-something (see below).

Not that I _need_ the connection to be faster.
It just seems that I should be able to download
at least sometimes from somewhere at a speed that
kinda sorta looks a little like the number the
ISP uses to describe the connection.  :-)

> Can you verify that you use binary FTP transfers ?

I tried my test again tonight just to make sure
about binary transfers.  The NetBSD ftp client
does say, "150 Opening BINARY mode data
connection. . . ."

Results tonight as reported by the ftp client were
320.30 KB/sec with net.inet.tcp.recvspace set at
32768 and 326.78 with recvspace of 65536.

Again, this is from my ISP's ftp mirror server.

> Do things change if the file is written to a RAM disk (mfs) ?

Haven't tried this, but I will, and I'll post the
result.

Thanks!

Tom