Subject: Re: wireless lan (802.11g) cards
To: Robert Lillack <rob@lillack.de>
From: Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2004 13:58:26
Robert Lillack wrote:

> Dick Davies wrote:
>

>>Incidentally, I only seem to get about 650KB/sec out of my 802.11 11Mbps
>>cards - I run in IBSS mode, would that explain it?
>

> No. This is nearly the best you can get. And you won't get
> more than around 2MByte/sec out of 11g (As long as you
> don't mix it with 11b---it would go down to ~1MB/s).

What's the overhead then? I'd guess 11Mbps / 8 =~ 1.5MBps - the rest is
lost in collisions, is it?

And yes, this is 802.11b - I have an old iBook on the LAN. AFAIK
internal airport cards only do 'b'. And I guess it would be pointless to
have 802.11g cards on that WLAN if the Mac is going to drag them down to
its level?

Thanks for the clarification.

Dick