To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20040229T145604@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/29/2004 15:01:49
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:01:49 -0800
Sender: current-users-owner@NetBSD.org

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
gr@eclipsed.net (gabriel rosenkoetter) writes:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 10:58:12PM +0100, Florian St?hr wrote:
>> Well, I was kicked off the mailing list because my mailserver refused lots
>> of spam coming from the current-users list.
>
> While it would be nice if this didn't cause unsubscriptions, you
> really shouldn't ever bounce spam. It doesn't do any good: the
> envelope sender isn't responsible for someone forging their email
> address, if it's even a valid email address. Just drop it on the
> floor instead.

It doesn't only happen with bounces.  It happens when one *rejects*
spam with a 550.

IMHO quietly dropping messages is the wrong thing to do.  One should
always reject them at the SMTP level so that the sender (if they are
legit) will find out about the rejection.  In the case of directly
delivered spam, the sender will just quietly go onto the next message.
They certainly aren't going to bother sending a bounce to the sender
address they just forged.  That would just get them whacked.

-wolfgang