Subject: Re: TCP/IP tuning
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Miller <tom@insolvencyhelp.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/28/2004 12:57:19
Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de> wrote:

> You expect ftp.NetBSD.org to serve you with 5 Mb/s?

Well, I hear NetBSD is extremely fast. . . .  :-)

> I'd think it throttles connections to a reasonable limit.

If it's not too impolite to discuss in public, what
get limit, if any, is enforced on ftp.netbsd.org?

Can anyone suggest where I could connect to an ftp
server that will for sure serve me a file at 5 Mbps
if the connection will support that speed?

My ISP is charging me extra to bump the speed of my
connection from "up to 3" to "up to 5" Mbps.  But,
assuming the speed reports from the NetBSD ftp client
are an appropriate measure, I'm hardly ever getting
files at over 3 Mbps, let alone 5.  Maybe I should
donate the extra money to The NetBSD Foundation
instead of paying it to my ISP?

Kindest regards,

Tom