Subject: Re: TCP/IP tuning
To: None <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Thomas Miller <tom@insolvencyhelp.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/28/2004 10:21:48
Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com> wrote:

> 5Mb/s is not high-speed. :)  There is no need to
> tune NetBSD for that speed.

Please explain to me where I am going wrong.

I am reading that the TCP/IP receive window should
exceed the size of the Bandwidth Delay Product for
a connection without packet loss.  From me to
ftp.netbsd.org the average times reported for large
and small packets by

ping -c 5 ftp.netbsd.org and
ping -c 5 -s 1400 ftp.netbsd.org

were 92.855 and 95.475 ms, respectively.  The average
of these averages is 94.165 ms or 0.094 sec.  If the
connection speed really is 5,000,000 b/s, then the
BDP is 5,000,000 b/s x 0.094 sec = 470,000 bits.

Sysctl says, however,

# sysctl net.inet.tcp.recvspace
net.inet.tcp.recvspace = 32768

which, if that 32768 is bits,  seems to be less than
1/10 of the BDP.

If the above is correct, doesn't my recvspace need to
be increased, and therefore, NetBSD needs to be "tuned"
for a 5 Mb/sec connection?  I haven't done anything
consciously to change the receive space from the default.

Thanks,

Tom

P.S. I appreciate that 5,000,000 is not a power of 2,
so maybe the connection speed should be expressed as
5 x 1,048,576.