Subject: Re: errors: build.sh on FreeBSD
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/24/2004 22:44:52
--Ytkf/XdZz0jFY7HY

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 07:36:22PM -0800, David C. Myers wrote:
> Anyway, the picture is becoming clearer.  I'll summarize: The whole
> cross-building build.sh infrastructure was supposed to work in 1.6,

What gave you this (mistaken) impression?

The quite wonderful build.sh structure happened to be added to
NetBSD's most current code while the -current kernel version was
1.6<something>. That hasn't got the least bit to do with a formal
1.6.x release or, really, netbsd-1-6. It just means that the kernel's
interface with userland is the same.

The kernel doesn't really play much of a part in the toolchain,
which is WILDLY different on HEAD than it is on netbsd-1-6 right
now, and will (probably) remain that way till a new netbsd-X-Y is
forked.

This is stated pretty clearly at the url you quoted earlier this
evening...

> However, assuming I was willing to put up with the long build times on
> my Sparc 5 routerwall box, I could continue to use the "netbsd-1-6" tag
> to pull in the fixes along 1.6.2, 1.6.3, and so on.  I just can't build
> those releases from FreeBSD.

That is correct.

> Sorry for the fuss.  I actually got a number of "me too" emails on the
> side wondering about these same questions, so there are plenty of us out
> there who stand a bit confused by the NetBSD build situation.

It's not wrong of you to want this, it's just wildly difficult to
backport the build.sh framework. It's a drastic change, and it was
purposely done on -current because implementing it broke a LOT of
things (some of which still don't work quite right, all the time, on
all ports, whatever).

> Oh, I guess one last question: is current stable enough to use as a
> firewall/router/maildrop box?

It depends. I, and a number of other people do, but you shouldn't
expect it to be hands off. You certainly shouldn't use it in a
situation where your (or your employer's) money depends on its
firewalling, routing, or (not, I suppose) dropping mail. But you
knew that anyway, since the whole thing comes with no guarantee,
right?

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net