Subject: Re: errors: build.sh on FreeBSD
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: David C. Myers <myers@aedifice.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/24/2004 19:36:22
On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 19:13, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> Whilst cross-platform builds are important, I wouldn't consider
> them to be bugs critical enough to require backporting the fixes
> to older release branches.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd understand this statement, except that 1.6.2 is in the *future*.
It's not an "older release branch"...!  ;-)

Anyway, the picture is becoming clearer.  I'll summarize: The whole
cross-building build.sh infrastructure was supposed to work in 1.6, but
it doesn't quite.  For various complicated reasons, the fixes to make it
work will only show up in 2.0.

However, assuming I was willing to put up with the long build times on
my Sparc 5 routerwall box, I could continue to use the "netbsd-1-6" tag
to pull in the fixes along 1.6.2, 1.6.3, and so on.  I just can't build
those releases from FreeBSD.

Sorry for the fuss.  I actually got a number of "me too" emails on the
side wondering about these same questions, so there are plenty of us out
there who stand a bit confused by the NetBSD build situation.

Oh, I guess one last question: is current stable enough to use as a
firewall/router/maildrop box?

-David.