Subject: How to make/build xsrc?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Art Lemasters <slemas1@mindspring.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/23/2004 13:28:35
   I'm a confused newbie in current (well, almost), having read the
xsrc Makefile, tried, and done some searching.  What's the best way
to build.sh/make both src and xsrc?  src seemed to upgrade alright
but not xsrc.

   There are newly updated (CVS) /usr/src and /usr/xsrc directories
here.

   BTW, I tried make cleandir from within /usr/xsrc after a download
from ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/xsrc.
...no-go.

bash-2.05b# make cleandir

make -f xmakefile clean
make: cannot open xmakefile.

make: stopped in /usr/xsrc/xfree/xc
*** Error code 2

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/xsrc/xfree/xc
make: don't know how to make clean. Stop

make: stopped in /usr/xsrc/local
*** Error code 1 (ignored)
*** Error code 2 (ignored)
find xfree/xc contrib local -name .depend | xargs -n5 rm
find xfree/xc contrib local -name 'Makefile*' |  xargs -n5 grep -l "Makefile generated by imake" |
xargs rm
rmdir xfree/xc/exports
rmdir: xfree/xc/exports: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1 (ignored)
rm -f xfree/xc/xmakefile

   Then I tried make cleandir distclean

bash-2.05b# make cleandir distclean

[...]

   Is the above behavior to be expected?  Thanks in advance.  BTW,
I did the CVS update on that, anyway.  It appeared to go alright.
And the main question again--how best to upgrade both src and xsrc?

   src here was recently updated, properly, I think (1.6ZK).  But
I'd upgraded xsrc with "make," then "make install," and noticed in
an old mail to a NetBSD list that make install tends to miss upgrading
xc or something like that.  ...and that "make build" works better.

   This machine is an i386.  The recent [partial] upgrade was done
from 1.6.  kernel and tools are 1.6ZK.  Those seemed to build just
fine.

Art