Subject: Re: Spam suggestion...
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@crlf.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/23/2004 11:20:09
On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 05:22:51AM -0700, Herb Peyerl wrote:
>  > head is on the ball, here.  Now, to get my mailer to recognise SPF
>  > properly
>
> I'm told this won't work because lots of developers forge mail to
> make it seem like they're sending from @netbsd.org but through their
> own mail servers.
>
> I confess I do this too but would be willing to give up this relatively
> minor luxury if it were to decrease the amount of spam flying around.
> However, not all developers feel this way.

I think that developers should be convinced to adjust their behaviour.

Spam often consists of forged mail. Eliminating 'proper' use of forging,
such as the justification you were given, would not eliminate spam, but
would force spammers to stop forging. Until forging is stopped, the
non-technical solutions to spam cannot be applied, since the senders are
intractably obfuscated.

(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods