Subject: Re: How current becomes stable
To: None <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us, mishka@apk.od.ua>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: current-users
Date: 02/20/2004 23:47:11
From mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us Fri Feb 20 23:00:45 2004:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 08:03:29PM +0200, Mike M. Volokhov wrote:
>
> > 	How some parts of NetBSD-current becomes NetBSD-stable?
[snip]
> > Another example. Let assume NetBSD-stable have some driver, say tlp(4).
> > Someone have faced within chip, completely supported by this driver.
> > He/she includes support for that driver into -current. Moreover, that
> > chip works just perfect on both stable and current for that developer.
> > Is there are any chances to support that driver in stable too (before
> > whole current trunk becomes a stable, i.e. 1.5 -> 1.6)?
>
> New features and bug fixes are pulled up to a branch by our release
> engineering team, after receiving a pull-up request from a NetBSD
> developer. In general, significant new functionality will only move from
> -current to a release branch if it applies very cleanly to the branch. In
> the example you're giving, it seems likely that the driver would be pulled
> up, as, in the hypothetical example, it works cleanly with both the release
> branch and -current.
>
> Keeping in mind that it must be an authorized NetBSD developer sending in
> the pull-up request, you can get a great deal of information regarding the
> specifics of the process here:

That's exactly what I asked for.

However, something still hidden for me.

1) Who should be a contact person for regular user or for developer
whom is not responsible on that part of system? In other words,
for whom may I sent my requests?

2) What kind of info I must provide to responsibles in oder to
convince them to accept my requests? Test reports, patches, etc?

--
Best wishes,
Mishka.