Subject: Re: nfs performance
To: Arto Huusko <armihu@utu.fi>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/2004 12:37:07
On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 06:37:59PM +0200, Arto Huusko wrote:

> So: I have a quite beefy i386 client, with VIA Rhine NIC. The server
> is AlphaStation 500/266 with rtk NIC. The NICs are crap, and I suspect
> that's the problem, but:

The Rhine parts have some severe bugs -- some steppings of some variants
work fine, others are totally unreliable and, among other problems,
tend to wedge pretty much as you describe.  Even a *gigabit* card
for the i386 box would only cost $30 -- you should really consider
getting that crummy network card out of there.  A good replacement
would be an ex (3c905 or 3c920) or fxp (EtherExpress 100) or wm
(EtherExpress 1000) card, all of which are available cheap.

You shouldn't need to use 2K RPC requests for NFS.  Doing so will
significantly limit performance all by itself.