Subject: Re: upgrade problem
To: Nathan Langford <njl@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/2004 10:29:16
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 02:32:43 +0000 (UTC)
Nathan Langford <njl@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> > Does netbsd nowadays create a /dev on a ramdisk if it don't exist?
Yes.

> /dev looks the same when I boot the -current kernel as the -1.6.1, so
> I don't think it's doing anything like that.
Some time ago the major device numbers where rearranged. Maybe you got
bitten by major device numbers not fitting to your kernel. I sugest to
boot from some -current install media (put netbsd.INSTALL from -current
into / and boot it) that runs inside a kernel attached RAM disk. Leave
to a single user shell, mount the / slice on the disk, move the old dev
directory out of the way, mkdir a new dev directory, copy MAKEDEV and
MAKEDEV.local to it and run "./MAKEDEV all".
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen