Subject: Re: Very irritating behaviour of CVS on certain files getting
To: Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/2004 08:47:00
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Douglas Wade Needham wrote:

> Got yet another question/problem regarding CVS.  It is a behaviour
> which has been getting me miffed for years now, and I can see no
> reason for it to occur.  I have attached the log file, but the long
> and the short of it is that it seems that about every other time I do
> a `cvs update` of src, I get conflicts on files like
> sys/arch/i386/compile/.keep_me and end up just deleting the stupid
> files and redoing the update, since I never touch these files.  But my
> question is why do I keep having to do this???

Don't just delete the ".keep_me"'s; delete the whole "compile"
directories. On the next update, "cvs" will create the ".../compile"
directories, the ".keep_me", *and* the ".../compile/CVS" directories,
which will solve your problem. (If you need to save a kernel build
directory, move it out of the way before, and move it back after,
the update.)

Frederick