Subject: Re: Problems compiling xview for i386/current + interesting sandbox
From: Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/2004 18:14:04
Sender: current-users-owner@NetBSD.org

Hello everyone,

I have a followup to my question yesterday.  One of the other
developers at the OSU Radio Observatory mentioned at this mornings
meeting that he had problems compiling one of our analysis programs on
his home machine.  This set me to thinking, 1.6.1 had GCC 2.95.x, but
-current is now using 3.3.2.  Since imake uses cpp, this raised a
rather interesting question in my mind.  My question is this.  Could
the errors from imake rather be an issue with the way that cpp for gcc
3.3.2 is now handling lines like the following from XView.cf:

    /**/###########################################################################
    /**/# @(#)XView.cf      1.10 09 Feb 1992 SMI
    /**/# XView.cf for XView release 3.0.  Specify site preferences here.

I also remembered that several months ago, I did a 1.6.1 build with
the xsrc from current so that I would have the support for the Radeon
9500Pro which came in with 4.3.  I never saw the problem there, which
I think makes my idea about gcc more likely.

Anyone have any ideas if I am right?  I sure hope there is a way to
avoid patching the lines in the file, since I remember this is a
fairly common construct in 3rd party software using imake/xmkmf.

- Doug

--
Douglas Wade Needham - KA8ZRT        UN*X Consultant & UW/BSD kernel programmer
Email:  cinnion @ ka8zrt . com       http://cinnion.ka8zrt.com