Subject: Re: IBM Thinkpad T41 Display
To: None <john@johnrshannon.com>
From: None <roberto@redix.it>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/2004 17:25:52

> I'm setting up a laptop and I'm encountering an intermittant problem with
> video. Sometimes, but not always, the screen image is completely screwed
> up
> (I don't know how else to describe it). When it happens, it occurs on
> starting the X server or after terminating the X server. Typing Fn-F7
> twice,
> to turn the monitor off and on, clears the problem. This occurs only in
> NetBSD - not Windows XP.
>
> The BIOS setting are default. The kernel configuration file, dmesg follows
> at
> end of mail, is essentially GENERIC_LAPTOP with unused devices commented
> out.
> APM is used rather than ACPI.
>
> The only uncommented lines in the Device Section of XF86Config are:
> 	Identifier  "Card0"
> 	Driver      "ati"
> 	VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
> 	BoardName   "Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]"
> 	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
> The Screen section:
>
> Section "Screen"
> 	Identifier "Screen0"
> 	Device     "Card0"
> 	Monitor    "Monitor0"
>      	DefaultColorDepth 24
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth     1
> 		Modes	"Native panel mode"
> 	EndSubSection
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth     4
> 		Modes	"Native panel mode"
> 	EndSubSection
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth     8
> 		Modes	"Native panel mode"
> 	EndSubSection
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth     15
> 		Modes	"Native panel mode"
> 	EndSubSection
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth     16
> 		Modes	"Native panel mode"
> 	EndSubSection
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Depth     24
> 		Modes	"Native panel mode"
> 	EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Suggestions?

Hi,
I' using XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (but on FreeBSD) on Thinkpad, and I've
expirienced similar problem with LCD.

It seems related to XFree86 than *BSD.

On a web search I discover a couple of problem related to LCD: if you
power off the LCD (fn+F4) when resuming the monitor is unreadable;

Even if the BIOS power off the monitor it cannot be usable.

So:
1) do not power off the monitor (fn+F4); or before that, switch to a
console window;
2) disable the LCD power off managed by the BIOS;

That's all...

Bye
Roberto