Subject: Re: encrypted cookies in identd
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/2004 20:04:26
On Wed, 04 Feb 2004, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote:
> >If you _happen_ to have the log around.  I've decrypted identd cookies
> >months later, when I certainly didn't have the full syslog to play
> >with.  I still think this is a significant feature regression.

If it's important enough, you can archive the output of "grep identd
/var/log/messages", or equivalent.  (I'd probably also hack it to syslog
with a different facility, so you could more easily direct it to a
different log file.)

> How? From what I can tell pidentd was never compiled with -C support in?

In my case, I was using a hand-compiled copy of pidentd, installed
somewhere under /usr/local.  I had forgotten that I didn't use NetBSD's
identd, but I now remember that the reason was absence of encrypted
cookie support.

--apb (Alan Barrett)