Subject: Re: SLIP/serial driver Problem?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/2004 17:32:46
    Date:        Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:14:56 -0600 (CST)
    From:        Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>

  | If you've started with "persist" but not "demand", you can also
  | initiate renegotiation by sending a SIGHUP

Thanks - but this is all achieving the "wrong" outcome.   I don't want
to renegotiate, I want to resume my previous PPP connection, without the
other end even being aware I've been gone (aside from some missing

Note that my situation was just like the one described by der Mouse,
a hardwired line - modems existed just because of the length of the
wire (several Kms, with who knows how many solder points) and because
it was just a regular phone style 2-pair link (or is that 2 wire link?)

In the setup I was using, the modems would occasionally burp, then
resync with each other, and either end might reboot, or reset its
system - each of those 3 events passing without the others either knowing
or caring anything happened.  (using SLIP of course - I started doing
this way before PPP existed).

SLIP is perhaps a bit too simple for real use, but PPP is also perhaps
just a bit to complex for some uses - a "there is a PPP on that there wire,
use it" mode to PPP (simply send & receive PPP packets, nothing else)
would be useful in situations like this.

This is why I asked the question, it is a bit hard to believe that there
isn't a way to do it.   It is also why I asked Bill - in that, there may
very well be a way that just happens not to be supported in NetBSD,
which would then be a nice project for someone...

kre