Subject: Re: kernel_map very fragmented?
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd-current-users@quatriemek.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/2004 06:34:06
Le Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:57:34 -0500
Andrew Brown a ecrit :
> it used to be the case that my (i386/1.6ZI) kernel_map had around 20
> or so entries (as indicated by "pmap 0 | wc -l" (yes, i know that's
> off by one)).  nowadays, my kernel loiters between ~2600 and ~2900,
> most of which look like they ought to be mergeable.  that's a large
> change.
>
> is anyone else seeing this behavior?

Is it related to the fact that it gets very hard to allocate large chunks
of device memory, such as the kind of blocks umass(4) uses?

"Feels like I'm fiddling while Rome is burning down.
Should I lay my fiddle down and take a rifle from the ground ?"
Leigh Nash/Sixpence None The Richer, Paralyzed, Divine Discontents, 2002.