Subject: Re: GNOME font sizes - just me?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20040130T170555@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/30/2004 17:10:41
seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:
> So, I've tried a handful of GTK apps recently.
>
> They all have TEEENY TINY little fonts.  Like, maybe 6pt, if that.  For
> pretty much everything, especially menus.
>
> Is this likely a preference setting?  What program sets the UI widgets shared
> by all GNOME apps, or their font choices?

Could your X's conception of your monitor's resolution be wrong?  If X
starts while the monitor is off it won't be able to query the physical
screensize, so it assumes something bland like 75dpi (even if you are
running a 100dpi).  The end result is really tiny fonts that are
almost unreadable.

When things are working for me this is what my Xfree86 prints out:

(--) MGA(0): Display dimensions: (400, 300) mm
(--) MGA(0): DPI set to (101, 101)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
       The above "From:" address is valid.  Don't mess with it.