Subject: Re: kernel filesys/fsck warnings
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/28/2004 10:34:20
>If I boot a 1.6ZH kernel (and I assume ZI) on my system, it moans about ...
>
>  WARNING: possible botched superblock upgrade detected
>(For essentially all the filesystems I believe, here I just picked one).
>
>Running fsck (fsck_ffs) as instructed says nothing at all, no comments
>about superblock disagreements, nor any other problems.

right.  the older fsck can't see the problem.  you need a new one.

>This is a 1.6X fsck - the -current fsck won't compile, I assume
>because I haven't done "make includes" (because I don't really want
>to upgrade to 1.6ZH or later - this kernel give me the infamous
>"lost interrupt" stuff on the IDE controller that many people have
>noted, so while I've tested this one, I'm not planning on running it
>very much).
>The e-mail reference from the archive claims ...
>
>  This should only affect people who migrated from a kernel before
>  20030402 directly to a kernel from the time period
>  between 20030913 (revision 1.120 of ffs_vfsops.c)
>  and my changes of 20040109 (revision 1.131 of ffs_vfsops.c)
>
>which isn't my system.   This system didn't exist 2003-04-02, it

the word "directly" in there is, i think, misplaced.  all it did was
confuse me.  the message the kernel emits should probably also note
that you need a new fsck_ffs.  hmm...maybe it should also refer to
this thread in the archives...

>Do the created filesystems need some kind of fix, or is the kernel
>warning bogus?   If I were able to compile a new fsck (such things
>can be managed if really required), would that detect the problem
>and fix things?   In that case, I assume I'd need a new newfs as well?

the created filesystems can be fixed easily with a a new fsck_ffs.
making the new fsck_ffs build should be as simple as adding
-I/path/to/src/sys to the CPPFLAGS line in src/sbin/fsck_ffs/Makefile.
that worked for me, and then i did the fsck_ffs -b32 -c4 thing, and
the kernel has been quiet ever since.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."