Subject: Re: tinkering with wi interfaces (Prism 2.5)
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/22/2004 10:52:23
> > of time, turn off speed autonegotiation and set maximum speed that works
> > reliably.
>
> There's the rub;  I haven't figured out how to stop autonegotiation from
> happening at some level;  I thought that setting it with "ifconfig wi0
> media DS11" would do it, but it would appear that some (if not all)
> frames are sent at lower speeds anyway.

broadcast, ACK, RTS etc. frames are sent by default at lowest possible
speed - at least with atheros driver (in which i looked into source). it's
a matter of changing source code to send this frames at same speed as data
if it is set to be constant, not auto.

> > 2) all antennas have to see each other, or "hidden node" problem produces
> > lots of collision and retransmition
>
> Yup, I'm aware of that.  Only two nodes, anyway.

if distance is many miles, you will actually experience hidden node
problem with 2 stations... (because waves needs time to travel, may be
too long)