Subject: Re: -current slowly hangs
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/20/2004 16:26:34
--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 07:03:42PM +1100, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> I've now several times experienced a strange hang on my laptop, mostly
> with a kernel and userland from Jan 11, and now today with a truly
> -current kernel (same userland).
>=20
> It kinda smells like some sort of deadlock, but I haven't really
> managed to catch any useful clues at the time.

It just happened again, but a little different this time. In fact, I'm
typing this from an ssh client on the machine while it's still "hung",
so it's not yet as bad as the other times (the X server hasn't yet
hung).

I had a top(1) running to see what it might tell me about process states.

The only thing that looks unusual is the STATE for ioflush and
pagedaemon: they're both in km_getwa (which i don't recall seeing
before).  I was half expecting, from other commentary, to see lots of
processes in vnlock, but I don't see any.

This happened while a mozilla was trying to quit, and it was hung
while exiting. Now the real surprise, I started trying to investigate,
and tried starting a new shell in screen. Suddenly the disk arced up
again (after maybe 10 mins of being stuck), mozilla exited, and
everything else came back!

Suggestions for useful information I should gather next time appreciated.

--
Dan.

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN--