Subject: Re: -current slowly hangs
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Gary Duzan <gary@duzan.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/2004 06:24:01
In Message <20040119080342.GH18488@bcd.geek.com.au> ,
   Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au> wrote:

=>If I do something that involves hitting lots of files, like for
=>example a big CVS update of othersrc+localsrc+htdocs+src+xsrc in one
=>go, everything goes normally until suddenly all disk activity stops.
=>
=>For a while (up to a minute or two) after that, things otherwise look
=>fairly normal, but in fact one process after another is hanging, and
=>eventually everything (or, at least the X server) hangs.  Even before
=>then, I can't do much useful, like start new processes to investigate
=>- each hangs before starting.

   I saw this over the weekend while experimenting with the amd64
port. It would freeze for a bit, come back, freeze again, seem like
it was losing mouse or keyboard interrupts, and finally lock hard.
An i386 setup with current from this past Wednesday (~noon EST)
doesn't have the problem.

					Gary Duzan