Subject: Re: NetBSD logo design competition
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: MLH <mlh@goathill.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/17/2004 13:02:25
Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> All these sorts of ideas have a serious problem, which is that they
> look crappy when reproduced in a variety of sizes and are far too
> complicated.
>
> Look at the logos of IBM or Apple -- you don't see giant allegorical
> drawings with myriads of detail because they won't fit in any
> reasonable manner.

The concept of a logo and a mascot likely ought to be separated.
They could later be combined in appropriate venues.

For a logo, I think it ought to be simple, unique, easily identified,
and easily rendered in two-color, multi-color and 3-D, etc.  Take
a look at zope.com and see how well the Zope 'Z' logo is rendered
and acts as an 'empowering' agent in the few simple examples seen
on that page.

Obviously a big 'N' in a circle isn't going to cut it, but really
good logos tend to have the above characteristics.

Forget the mascot issues for a moment.  How could 'NetBSD' be
rendered in a clean, simple fashion into an 'emblem or device'?