Subject: Re: NetBSD logo design competition
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Rene Schickbauer <cavac@grumpfzotz.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/16/2004 11:18:10
> From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
> To: netbsd-announce@NetBSD.org
> Subject: NetBSD logo design competition
[...]
>     *An abstract symbol conveying the goals and spirit of open source
> 	technology.

I first thought about using the picture of some generic CPU, but then it
stroke me: What is the most basic part every CPU has in common?

A Transistor. A NetBSD transistor. Idling there in every CPU, just waiting
there to be activated and take control.

I'd say, as Logo we take the sign used in diagrams (maybe a bit styled up so
it is a bit NetBSD-specific).

It would also make a great maskot. Imagine a 1 meter tall transistor with
eyes (on the flat side of the head, no mouth), made of plush. The head
would be very dark silicon greay, the three legs light grey (metallic
looks :-) and i'd say it could have blue eyes.

We could even ship a small transistor with every DVD, "just in case your
computer vendor didn't already ship one with your main board". With any
luck we could find a vendor selling us some surplus transistor, imprinted
with "NetBSD, generic" or something :-)

(I'd sure as hell like to send pictures, but i'm a horrible artist)

LLAP & LG
Rene
--
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation...