Subject: Re: NetBSD logo design competition
To: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/2004 15:58:19
Thus spake Johan A.van Zanten ("JAZ> ") sometime Today...

JAZ> Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net> wrote:
JAZ> > I say we plagirize the last lines of Emma Lazarus' "The New Colossus"
JAZ> > with Beastie as the Statue of Liberty:
JAZ>
JAZ> Wow! I really like this idea! Great image, and great original copy.  Of
JAZ> course, the potential to offend even more people (cross-dressing, defiling
JAZ> a national icon, etc.) is pretty large, but the mental image of a pair of
JAZ> chucks peeking out from under the Daemon Statue's robes delights me.

"chucks"?  [daemon is theoretically nameless, is certainly not named
"chuck".  Quoth McKusick: "If you have to give it a name, call it 'beastie'."]

JAZ>   So i say to hell with easily offended people.

Everything will offend somebody.  Society really needs to get over itself.

If we could find a way to hide the horns...hmmm...

JAZ> > Give me your tired, your poor,
JAZ> > Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
JAZ> > The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
JAZ> > Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
JAZ> > I lift my lamp beside the golden door.
JAZ>
JAZ>
JAZ> Give me your ancient, your obscure,
JAZ> Your hard-booted machines, yearning to run free,
JAZ> The random silicon refuse of your teeming machine rooms.
JAZ> Send these, the unwanted, dumpster-tossed, to me:
JAZ> I TFTP the kernel to the growing 'net.

...now, THAT is cool.

				--*greywolf;
--
22 Ways to Get Yourself Killed While Watching 'The Lord Of The Rings':

#20: Wonder out loud if Aragorn is going to run for governor of California.