Subject: Re: No buffer memory
To: Gary Duzan <gary@duzan.org>
From: Bill Chiarchiaro <wjc@cleartech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/13/2004 14:06:39
Gary Duzan wrote:

>    I got around this by adding "options NKMEMPAGES_MIN=x" to my
> kernel, where "x" is the value of "sysctl vm.nkmempages" plus a
> bit (I added 100.)

I saw your original message about this several days ago and I gave it
a try (adding 128) on one of my i386 systems, albeit one on the
netbsd-1-6 branch (with source from about January 5) rather than on
current.  Unfortunately, the memory allocation problem is still
happening.

With the prior kernel, 'sysctl vm.nkmempages' was showing
24547.  I added "options NKMEMPAGES_MIN=24675" to my
kernel conf and built and booted the new kernel.  At first my umass
devices attached nicely, but eventually the problem recurred.

At that point, I did 'sysctl vm.nkmempages' with the new kernel and
again got 24547.  Looking at kmeminit_nkmempages() in
src/sys/kern/kern_malloc.c, and the definitions of
NKMEMPAGES_MIN_DEFAULT and NKMEMPAGES_MAX_DEFAULT in
src/sys/arch/i386/include/param.h, I believe nkmempages should indeed
be set to 24675, the value in the new kernel option.

What am I overlooking?

Bill Chiarchiaro
wjc@cleartech.com