Subject: Re: ffs compatibility added, fsck may complain
To: None <dbj@netbsd.org>
From: walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/11/2004 06:13:01
walt wrote:
> Darrin B. Jewell wrote:
>
>> I added the following to src/UPDATING
>>
>> 20040109:
>>         Compatibility for old ffs superblock layouts has been
>>         added, and the restrictive fsck checks have been reenabled
>>         when using those layouts.  If you have been using -current
>>         since 20030402, you may find that fsck again signals fatal
>>         superblock mismatches.  To work around, you can use
>>         fsck -b 32 to restore an alternate superblock.
>

> This worked fine one one -current machine, but on my other very
> similar i386 box I got a 'floating-point exception' error from fsck.

I rebooted the old kernel and recomiled the system again (with no
errors) and got the same result:  floating point exception from
fsck_ffs when run without flags.

When given the -b 32 flag, however, it all worked fine on both ffs
partitions.  When running fsck -f it also works normally now, i.e.
it checks and reports no errors on both ffs partitions.

Dunno why the error on one machine and not the other.  On the first
machine fsck reported the superblock error and offered to correct it,
which is a much better response than a floating point exception ;-)

The only difference I can think of is that the problem machine has
two ffs partitions and the other box has only one.