Subject: Re: current got 'swappier'/slower.
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/05/2004 18:42:57
On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:27:54AM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:

> I know this kind of non-specific whinge is (worse than) useless, but the new
> mem alloc/kernel thing seems to suck. laptop user, current as of 2-3 days
> ago. 256Mb memory.

I don't know which change you think you're referring to, but I suspect that
you mean PK's recent changes to the buffer cache code.

I just looked at that code again and I'm a bit curious about some aspects
of it -- such as the use of, essentially, different LRUs for buffers
of different sizes, which seems a bit bogus -- but I can't see how it
could possibly cause additional demand for *pageable* memory, which is
what would be necessary to cause an increase in swap utilization.

I think some other recent change must be causing your problem.

Thor