Subject: Re: new memory allocation scheme and disk access
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/05/2004 13:47:35
On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 12:31:26PM +1100, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 01:26:38AM +0900, Kouichirou Hiratsuka wrote:
>   | My system has 1G bytes RAM and free memory was about 550M bytes at
>   | the time of second build of the kernel. But it was very slow by hard
>   | disk accesses. It seems to be related with new memory allocation
>   | scheme for the buffer cache.
>
> What is
> 	sysctl kern.maxvnodes
> on your system?
>
> If it's < 50000, have you tried
> 	sysctl -w kern.maxvnodes=131072
> (or even 262144 or larger again) ?

I raised maxvnodes to 131072 and 262144 and that was actually helping
avoid slowdown. However, swap usage was not reduced much. I still feel
like my machine is somewhat slower. Using lots of swap is a normal
(expected) behavior of the new bufcache scheme?

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@NetBSD.org>