Subject: Re: Using partitions and better package selection/installation
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Srinivasa Kanduru <ksraghavan@yahoo.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/04/2004 15:26:53
--- David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> wrote:
> > Sysinst recognizes all the filesystems, but when I boot the regular kernel
> > couldn't see a way of mounting those partitions.
> >
> >  a:          0       2047  d  Linux native            Linux
> >  b:       2047       2047   I NetBSD (/)              NetBSD
> >  c:       4094       2048 a   FreeBSD/386BSD (/)      FreeBSD
> >  d:       6142      70174     Extended partition
> >  e:       6142      10236     NetBSD
> >  f:      16378      10237     NetBSD
> >  g:      26615      10237     FreeBSD/386BSD (/disk)
> >  h:      36852      10236     FreeBSD/386BSD
> >  i:      47088      10237     Linux native
> >  j:      57325      10237     Linux native
> >  k:      67562       7985     Linux native
>
> I think it is the sysinst MBR editing menu - so the letters on the LHS are
> for menu selection and not partition letters.
>
> (Also the netbsd root filesystem need not be partition 'a'.
> It must, however, start at the beginning of the bootable MBR partition.)
>
> The netbsd-current kernel will generate a default netbsd disklabel
> that contains all the extended partitions (wd0i and upwards), this
> may (aka should) be preserved by sysinst.
> However if there is an old netbsd label the information on it will
> be preserved, and the MBR partition information discarded.
> (This might be sub-optiomal)
>
> 	David
>
> --
> David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk

I am now able to mount and use the linux partitions (both in ro and rw modes).
FreeBSD partitions 5.1 ufs2 is not working though.

# mount -t ufs /dev/wd0g  /mnt
mount_ufs: /dev/wd0g on /mnt: incorrect super block
# mount -t ufs -o ro /dev/wd0g  /mnt
# ls /mnt/*
ls: /mnt/boot: Invalid argument
ls: /mnt/dev: Invalid argument
ls: /mnt/dist: Invalid argument
ls: /mnt/etc: Invalid argument
ls: /mnt/mnt: Invalid argument
ls: /mnt/proc: Invalid argument
ls: /mnt/root: Invalid argument
ls: /mnt/sbin: Invalid argument
ls: /mnt/stand: Invalid argument
ls: /mnt/tmp: Invalid argument
ls: /mnt/usr: Invalid argument
ls: /mnt/var: Invalid argument
/mnt/COPYRIGHT  /mnt/compat     /mnt/home       /mnt/mbr1
/mnt/MBR        /mnt/entropy    /mnt/mbr        /mnt/sys

/mnt/bin:
[          csh        ed         link       ps         rmail      sync
cat        date       expr       ln         pwd        rmdir      tcsh
chflags    dd         getfacl    ls         rcp        setfacl    test
chio       df         hostname   mkdir      realpath   sh         unlink
chmod      domainname kenv       mv         red        sleep