Subject: Re: SPAM Alert: Email Address Harvesting
To: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+current-users@bjan.net>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/2004 15:48:27
On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 07:17:09PM -0700, Bruce J.A. Nourish wrote:
> A few months ago, I wrote a long, eloquent missive on on precisely this
> subject. Nobody gave a shit.

Perhaps it was too long and eloquent? :-)

> So, in conclusion, I agree entirely with you, but everyone else enjoys
> bieng spammed.

No, but it's a fact of life that you're going to need end-system tools
to filter spam you do receive, regardless of measures taken further up
the tree for a list - especially when such measures can be error-prone
and require manual babysitting.

> Your best hope is to use extra addresses as you
> yourself are now doing.

Perhaps in combination with address-specific training or declarative
rules about where mail will be accepted from (only from the relevant
listserver? only if it is In-Reply-To: a post earlier in a known
thread? etc.)

--
Dan.