Subject: Re: multiprocessor i386 1.6ZC system crash
To: None <dawszy@arhea.pl>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/30/2003 14:08:18
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 07:52:30PM +0200, Lubos Vrbka wrote:
>  [...]
>  | when i used 1.6.1 stable and -current compiled without multiproces=
sor =

>  | support i didn't observe such behaviour, but i ran them only short=
 time, =

>  | so maybe i just "missed" the crash...
>  [...]
>
>  I have the same problem, I am running 2xP3 600 on Intel mobo.
>  It just freezes with IDE LED on..
>  no information from kernel, no infromation from syslog, not able to =
enter
>  debugger...
>  It freezes for me after about 2 days from reboot..

For whatever it's worth:

 o One of my dual-CPU machines (p3-650x2) is running 1.6ZC and has
   basically done so since the point in time when that was what was
   "current".  I've been doing many, many cross-builds of NetBSD on
   this machine since then, and it appears to be fairly stable for my
   use.  I don't run an X server on it, though, and as far as I know
   don't run any pthreads-using programs either.

 o 1.6ZC is now quite dated, and a number of bugs have been fixed
   since it was "current".  If my memory isn't failing me some of
   these bugs were related to usage of pthreads and MP operation.  I
   think I would recommend an upgrade to the "current" as of now as
   the first step in trying to get these systems more stable (with all
   the caveats normally attached to such an upgrade, of course).

Best regards,

- H=E5vard