Subject: rawrite vs. compact flash vs. vnd
To: NetBSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/30/2003 09:59:24
Greetings, all,

I am in the somewhat unique position of having to generate images to
stuff onto a CF (32MB; amazingly enough I have a 14MB distro that
works, but that's neither here nor there.

If I generate the image via vnd/fdisk/disklabel/newfs/mount/copy, even
with the identical geometry to the CF, I find that the image is corrupt.
It will not boot, but even more astounding are the facts that

	- fsck checks the partition fine
	- dump dumps and restore restores just fine
	- mount complains "incorrect super block."
	- installboot installs the boot blocks to the vnd, but it still
	  will not boot.
	- the fdisk parameters do not transfer from the vnd to the CF.
	  (I suppose I really shouldn't be surprised at this).

If I generate the image directly to the CF, and do fdisk/disklabel/newfs/
mount/copy/installboot, it works (of course); a dd will produce an image
which is bootable and usable and perfect in every way.

The next one's for Martin Husemann, though if anyone else has any
clues, I'd appreciate their impact:

If I try to use rawrite32 to write this image to the CF via NT/2k, it
seems to fail right at the end (a size fail), which suggests to me that
one of the following is true:
	- windows is doing some translations of which I am not aware
	- the CF driver on windows is prepositioning its first write.
	- rawrite is not really writing starting at block 0
	- rawrite is inserting some things which shouldn't be there
	- rawrite doesn't know how to deal with CF (which I find unlikely,
	  as "it's just another drive").

The image in question is 61x1024x512 bytes (as is the CF).

				--*greywolf;
--
Have a Nice Day.  (All taxes are the sole responsibility of the winner.)