Subject: updating kernels
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20031209T153938@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/09/2003 15:50:43
For a while I've noticed that whenever I build a new kernel and reboot
the gods of kernel panics frown upon me.  Is there *anything* about
"gzip /netbsd ; cp netbsd /netbsd" that should upset the kernel during
shutdown?  It hardly makes any sense, yet panics seem to happen during
whenever I do this.

Yesterday I noticed that when I upgraded a kernel and shutdown that
the machine printed out a totally non-sensical gripe about a sysctl I
do during shutdown.  The gripe (from memory) was that "net is not a
valid top-level" or something like that.  The command was this:

    sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.log_refused=0

Now obviously, net.inet.tcp.log_refused is a perfectly valid sysctl
variable.  This started me thinking, is there anything that the kvm
interface does during shutdown that could end up tweaking the wrong
knobs if the filesystem binary was replaced?

Or is this just coincidence and shutdown is just unlucky?

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
       The above "From:" address is valid.  Don't mess with it.