Subject: Re: Intel SATA RAID
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/2003 14:19:29
--Apple-Mail-102-100172480

On Dec 6, 2003, at 2:14 PM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 11:16:47AM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 5, 2003, at 1:36 AM, Simas Mockevicius wrote:
>>
>>> there is a patch to make work 82801ER SATA/RAID controler.
>>
>> What makes you think that this chip is actually a RAID controller?
>
>> From the ICH5/ICH5R datasheet: "Raid level 0 support (ICH5R only)"
>> From the datasheet one would assume the ICH5R has some hardware
>> feature
> to speed up Raid0, but I didn't find what exactly. I didn't look depth
> in details ...

What kind of hardware feature would exist for accelerating RAID-0?
They don't have an I/O processor down on the board, do they?  (I would
be surprised; those are generally for accelerating RAID-5).

I suspect what it really means is "BIOSes for these chipsets have some
RAID-0 software in them".

--Apple-Mail-102-100172480
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit