Subject: Re: problems with (specific) IDE support in 1.6ZE
To: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/04/2003 22:23:55
--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 03:47:20PM +1100, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
  | dmesg tells me that the ide controller is a ServerWorks CSB6 RAID/IDE
  | controller, which mostly matches what the BIOS says, however it also
  | notes that although there is bus-master DMA support present, it is
  | unused as there is no driver support (full boot dmesg output follows
  | this message)
  |=20
  | Is there anything I can do to get support for this device and get at
  | least DMA support working? I don't care particularly about using it for
  | hardware RAID, but the current speed is dog slow (slower than the SCSI2
  | disk I have hanging out the back of the machine ... ) and will really
  | hurt when I begin putting the machine into production (since swap is on
  | these two drives as well)

Try a _very_ recent -current kernel (last day or so).

"pciide" is the now the "fallback" IDE driver that defaults to PIO
(non DMA) transfers in many cases; you'll want "rccide" instead,
and that's been fixed very recently (last day or so) for the CSB6
cards.

(My late september kernel on a CSB6 system does has support for the
CSb6 "natively" in pciide, but that's back when pciide was a "unified"
driver.  I have yet to try a -current kernel, although I intend to
"soon")

Cheers,
Luke.

  | pciide0 at pci0 dev 14 function 0
  | pciide0: ServerWorks CSB6 IDE (rev. 0xa0)
  | pciide0: bus-master DMA support present, but unused (no driver support)
  | pciide0: primary channel configured to native-PCI mode
  | pciide0: using irq 11 for native-PCI interrupt
  | atabus0 at pciide0 channel 0
  | pciide0: secondary channel wired to native-PCI mode
  | atabus1 at pciide0 channel 1
  | pcib0 at pci0 dev 15 function 0
  | pcib0: ServerWorks CSB6 SouthBridge (rev. 0xa0)
  | pciide1 at pci0 dev 15 function 1
  | pciide1: ServerWorks CSB6 RAID/IDE (rev. 0xa0)
  | pciide1: bus-master DMA support present, but unused (no driver support)
  | pciide1: primary channel configured to compatibility mode
  | pciide1: primary channel interrupting at irq 14
  | atabus2 at pciide1 channel 0
  | pciide1: secondary channel configured to compatibility mode
  | pciide1: secondary channel interrupting at irq 15
  | atabus3 at pciide1 channel 1
  | wd0 at atabus2 drive 0: <Maxtor 6E040L0>
  | wd0: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA addressing
  | wd0: 39205 MB, 79656 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 80293248 se=
ctors
  | wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 6 (Ultra/133)
  | wd1 at atabus3 drive 0: <Maxtor 6E040L0>
  | wd1: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA addressing
  | wd1: 39205 MB, 79656 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 80293248 se=
ctors
  | wd1: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 6 (Ultra/133)

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0--