Subject: Re: NetBSD -current GENERIC.MP hang
To: Milos Urbanek <urbanek@openbsd.cz>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@college.dtcc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/2003 18:05:18
Is there a BIOS update available? Having Plug and Play OS set to yes in
the bios or having ISA IRQ reservations set up might cause something like
this. The only other thing that comes to mind is that doesn't EISA
have priority to using IRQ 9,10 and 11 over PCI? Some googling finds
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/168/1998/9/0/975715/ on a
FreeBSD-scsi list which points to the mptables being wrong and/or vague.

I updated my dual pentium pro 441FX board to todays sources and it's still
chugging away.

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Milos Urbanek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to discuss this problem at -current-users in June 2003,
> I have problem running GENERIC.MP kernel with NetBSD -current (1 day old
> update from CVS). The machine hangs after enabling ioapic. Note that
> when running with UP kernel, there is no such problem.
>
> The problem is (as stated by fwdl in June 2003) with iterrupt 11
> which has some weird bits set. To be more accurate, quoting Frank van der
> Linden:
>
> >I think int11 may be the culprit. It has 'pending' and 'irrpending'
> >set already; sometimes this indicates that an interrupt is marked
> >with the wrong polarity. In this case, that's strange, though.
> >The interrupt is marked as active low, which would be correct
> >for PCI. It would be strange if that board has active-high PCI
> >interrupts.
> >
> >- Frank
>
> Interrupt 11 is allocated to NIC. In June 2003 there was some buggy NE2000
> clone in the PCI slot so I assumed it should be a side-effect of this buggy
> NIC hardware. Now I have 3COM 3c905c instead but the problem is still
> present. Any idea how-to workaround this "freeze"?
>
> Dmesg follows. Thanks in advance
>
> Milos
<snip>

--

The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a
dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.